Monday, May 30, 2011

JORDAN WASHINGTON

This Weeks Dancer/Choreographer shout out goes to Jordan Washington. Jordan began dancing at a young age often finding himself imitating the moves from Artist's like Michael Jackson, AAliyah, TLC and more. Born in Windsor, Ontario Jordan began stepping at the age of  10 soon after he found himself creating the routines to be performed. In 2004 Jordan decided to make the move to the big city of Toronto for School. Once here he quickly plunged into the Dance scene joining Black Ice a STEP Team at York University. He began choreographing for them in 2005 and has gone on to perform at some major events and shows for Grey Cup, Bravo Fact, Much Music, Spring Bling and more. Jordan continued to train with many different choreographers in the city, but credits Lenny Dela Pena for taking him under his wing and helping  him to grow as a Dancer, Performer and Choreographer.  In Feb 2010 Jordan joined hundreds and thousands of others in Beautiful British Columbia where he choreographed and performed for SAMSUNG the official sponsors of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Once returning to Toronto, Jordan made the decision to take his Dreams even further moving to New York City in October of last year. Jordan continues to expand his knowledge and movement of Dance taking part in many classes in NYC ranging from Popping to Ballet. Wishing him nothing but success My Vancouver Earl's Toblerone chocolate brownie buddy lol check out what Jordan had to say in this weeks shout out.

Bio written by Nikki





Nikki: Do you remember the first time you started dancing?
Jordan: I'm not sure if its the first time I danced but I remember learning the thriller routine top to bottom when I was like 5 or 6! It was hard though cause I was TERRIFIED of the zombies lol

Nikki: Do you remember the first song you choreographed to? (Or your earliest memory)

Jordan: I do! In fourth grade I choreographed a step for a school play I was in called 'On The Right Track'.

Nikki: Your personal advice for dancers when it comes to free styling?

Jordan: Just go for it! And practice your freestyles! There's nothing worse than feeling unprepared to freestyle because its essentially you being yourself! Taking different classes (eg. Popping, waving, locking, house) will diversify your freestyle as well!

Nikki: Getting in the zone to choreograph, what does it take for you?

Jordan: I just have to feel inspired! Inspiration comes at weird times for me I guess cause I usually choreograph on the subway or at the laundry mat! I also like having someone shadow me or vibe with me so that they can catch things I may forget.

Nikki: Who are some of your biggest influences in the Dance industry?

Jordan: Definitely Lenny Len and Luther Brown! Lenny's been training me since I began to take dance seriously as a career. His passion for teaching and endless creativity is mind blowing. And what Luther has done for dance in not only Canada but worldwide is just amazing. There is NO ONE like Luther in this world. I feel blessed every time I'm in either one of their classes, there's really no better feeling.

Nikki: Name a Toronto Choreographer you enjoy working with and why?

Jordan: I haven't had a bad experience with a Toronto choreographer yet so I would say all of them!

Nikki: Name one of your favorite artists to work with and why?

Jordan: I recently worked with Chach and had a blast! Choreographing I had a lot of freedom and her music was easy to dance to because I really enjoy it!

Nikki: Are you currently working on any projects?

Jordan: Right now, I'm currently working on my Choreography Reel and continuing to take classes and expand my knowledge of Dance and Choroegraphy.

Nikki: Qualities you think Toronto Dancers possess that dancers from other parts of the Country and States may not?

Jordan: I think Toronto dancers have a certain understanding when we dance. It makes the difference between doing dance moves and dancing.

Nikki: Any advice for emerging dancers and choreographers working/training in Toronto?

Jordan: Just make sure your in it because you love it! Your feelings will be hurt, but you gotta keep going! Your the only one holding you back!

BIG THANK YOU TO JORDAN FOR BEING PART OF T.D.O.T. XO

WATCH JORDAN'S DEMO REEL......


CLASS WITH JORDAN W.........

CLICK THE LINK TO WATCH JORDAN AND SOME TORONTO DANCERS THROW DOWN AT NYC CARNIVAL 

No comments:

Post a Comment