Monday, July 4, 2011

KOJO " TUCH " MAYNE

This weeks shout out goes to 1 of My Favorite Dancers/Choreographers and Mentors Kojo Mayne better known as TUCH!! 
From an early age music and dance played a significant role in Tuch’s life, and through Toronto’s premiere entertainment company – Do Dat Entertainment – he transformed his passion for the arts into reality. Tuch has risen to the top of his craft as a sought after dancer and choreographer known for his dancing abilities & professionalism.
Tuch joined Luther Brown's Do Dat Entertainment in 1998, and since then has performed with top musicians and entertainers, such as Shawn Desman, Eve, Gwen Stefani, Missy Elliott, and Jully Black.  He’s worked with Sean Paul, Rihanna, Danny Fernandes, Christina Aguilera, and Jay-Z in music videos and commercials.  In addition, Tuch has appeared in numerous television/film and stage productions, such as the 2010 Olympic Torch Ceremony, Bell’s Celebrity Gala, E! News Weekend, the motion picture Honey featuring Jessica Alba, the Junos & BET Awards.
With more than 10 years of experience in dance, Tuch is a fixture in the Toronto arts scene, teaching hip-hop classes and workshops in Canada/ Israel/ Mexico and Germany, and has had the fortune to assist choreographer Luther Brown on So You Think You Can Dance Canada. 
Recently, Tuch has added the renowned Jully Black and up & coming recording artists Candy Coated Killahz, Trish (Capitol Records) & Jaime (Sony/ BMG HK) to his choreography credits. Look out for FUTURE projects! Find out what Tuch had to say in this weeks shout out........

Bio provided by Do Dat Ent.





Nikki: Do you remember the first time you started dancing?

Tuch: I really don’t remember the first time I started dancing. I just remember my earliest memories of dancing, was watching Michael Jackson and Bobby Brown music videos and trying to copy their dance moves.

Nikki: Do you remember the first song you choreographed to? (Or your earliest memory)

Tuch: Most likely I was making up dances for a while. But the first time I remember having to make up a dance for someone other than myself was in high school for a talent show. It was by Brandy ft. Heavy D, a remake of Michael Jackson’s classic “ Rock With You”! …Hahahaa, I wish I could see it now, it was probably WACK! …. But I remember the girls loved it. ;)

Nikki: What advice can you give to dancers when it comes to free styling?

Tuch: My advice is that you just got to do you. That’s what it is! A lot of times I hear dancers say they don’t know how to freestyle or they can’t freestyle. But in this business you have to be prepared for it all! I’m not saying you have to be the best freestyler, but if you can only dance if someone gives you the steps, you may have a problem. 

Nikki: What does it take for you to get into choreography mode?

Tuch: For me it’s all about the music and where it takes me. When I’m at my best, the music says it all to me! It governs how I move and creates the steps. I’m very much one of those people who choreograph to lyrics and meanings, as well as the vibe and energy of the music. So it’s really hard for me to get in the mode when the music doesn’t inspire me. 

Nikki: Name some of your biggest influences in the Dance industry?

Tuch: Hard question. There are so many existing and up and coming talented dancers and choreographers that my influences change daily in so many levels. However, for me and my time coming up in this dance game, artists and their CHOREOGRAPHERS like Diddy, Janet, Usher, Aaliyah and Missy Elliott, who danced and had DANCERS DANCING in their videos and tours influenced me to continue to dance, and think of it more than just fun, but a career!

Nikki: Name a Toronto Choreographer you enjoy working with and why?

Tuch: Undoubtedly it would be Luther Brown! I had the privilege to start my career and grow and hone my skills under his supervision. As a dancer, his style of choreography/ groove clicked with me, and allowed me to more than just dance, but leave my heart on the stage. Working with such a TALENT is not work it’s a blessing.

Nikki: Name one of your favorite artists to work with and why?

Tuch: Hands down, one of my favorite artists to work with had to be Missy Elliott. As I stated above her style, flav, and her choreographers and dancers that have together created her image was very influential on me and what I love about dance. So when I got the opportunity to first audition in front of her, and then for her to pick me, was a HUGE moment for me!!  Another favorite artist though has to be Shawn Desman, who I’ve worked with since his very first music video YEARS ago! We’re still killing stages till this day! I consider him like my white bro, hahaa, so when we work together it’s like family. It’s always good!

Nikki: What projects are you working on right now?

Tuch: Things always continue to come up, but for right now I’m mainly busy performing with Shawn Desman, I’m working with some local talents like Candy Coated Killahz

Nikki: What qualities do you think Toronto Dancers possess?

Tuch: I think Toronto Dancers are very DETERMINED. They have a hunger and passion to show the World their gift, any way possible.

Nikki: Any advice for emerging dancers and choreographers working/training in Toronto?

Tuch: KNOW YOUR WORTH!!! It’s definitely not the easiest industry to work and train in. Opportunities at times can be scarce, but it doesn’t mean you have to let this industry “pimp” you out in order for you to feel like you’re advancing. Definitely there are times where we do gigs for less then what are talents are worth for the experience, exposure, perks, or LOVE. But if we constantly work for less than our worth, how can we expect our talents to be fully appreciated and compensated in this business. LOVE what you do, but just be SMART about it.


THANK YOU TUCH FOR BEING PART OF T.D.O.T. XOXO


Check out Tuch's Reel...






No comments:

Post a Comment