Monday, January 2, 2012

HAYLEY PAONE

This weeks Dancer/Choreographer shout out goes to Hayley PaoneBorn and raised in Ancaster, Ontario, Canada began training for the art form at the age of five. Ms. Paone has been surrounded by and involved in the industry for over 22 years and has established a place for the craft in her local district, as well as reaching a wider scale in the Greater Toronto Area.  As a graduate from Fanshawe College in London, Ontario Hayley maintained dance in her life while on the “Huron Heat” dance team. Shortly after, Ms. Paone unleashed “Breathe”; a travelling dance workshop created for both young and mature advanced dancers. Breathe provides dancers the opportunity to continue their training in a wonderful atmosphere among some of Canada’s most respected Teachers/Choreographers. As both a founder and director of Breathe, Hayley is proud to be celebrating its fifth successful year.
Paone has performed in various shows and fundraisers including Hamilton24 Festival, Toronto Choreographers Ball, as well as both Infusion Canada’s Dance Show and Fashion Show Fundraisers. She was also a background dancer for the movie “turn the beat around” (protocol productions inc).
Ms. Paone teaches and provides freelance choreography for studios throughout Ontario. She has also extended her dancing expertise at a University level; both teaching and choreographing for Western University Dance Team “Huron Heat, “McMaster “Verve” Dance Team as well as Mac Dance Company. Hayley has been a part of McMaster University’s Athletics and Recreational Dance Program teaching Jazz and Lyrical for over 5 years, which has formed an impressive following of students. She has worked with many sought after professional dancers and continues to help them grow in the industry.  Ms. Paone’s students have gone on to receive many overall awards as well as scholarships from various competitions & conventions throughout Canada and the United states. Hayley has been acknowledged for her work as a choreographer at both Regional and National competitions receiving several choreography awards.  Hayley’s most recent work has been viewed at Dance Offerings and is often showcased at ABA Entertainment’s “The Bazaar”. She is recognized for her innate style and paying close attention to detail in her work.  Ms. Paone believes that pushing above and beyond perfection both inside and out, assists in developing brilliant dancers. Hayley brings a sense of realism and honesty to everything she teaches and focuses on all of her students equally, enabling each of her dancers to reach their full potential. She is a sought after choreographer, teacher and adjudicator. Hayley is thrilled to now launch her own dance company “iNhayle” and has eagerly waited for this moment her entire life.

Bio provided by Hayley



Find out what Hayley had to say in this weeks shout out....

Nikki: Do you remember the first time you started dancing? 

Hayley: I don’t recall one vivid memory of the exact moment I started dancing but I do know that I was constantly dancing around and experimenting with movement as a toddler. I had no shame to put on a show whenever possible, I’m pretty sure people had to ask me to stop dancing around lol. Dancing has always been what I do and who I am.

Nikki: Do you remember the first song you choreographed to? (Or your earliest memory)

Hayley: The First song I choreographed to along with my best friend (I won’t say any names you know who you are lol) is “READY OR NOT” by the Fugees, We were about 12, it was pretty lame but we thought it was the ONE when we did it. I definitely choreographed before this but for the life of me I can’t remember and this I remember so clear probably because I’m still in love with the song.

Nikki: Your personal advice for dancers when it comes to free styling?

Hayley: When you are about to Freestyle a couple of things I always keep in mind are, listen and analyze the music you’re going to move to, find a place within yourself that’s peaceful with clear thoughts and be comfortable in your own skin, ignore and forget about any judgement because who cares  nobody else matters in that moment it is all you, be willing to explore and maybe even feel uncomfortable by taking risks and making mistakes, NEVER plan how you are going to move or what tricks you are going to do because that’s not free styling.  I think the most beautiful lines and movement occur when we least expect it and when we just go with the flow.

Nikki: Getting in the zone to choreograph, what does it take for you?

Hayley: A few aspects come into play when I’m choreographing and put me in the right frame of mind:

1) I prefer to be by myself in the studio so I can take my time and allow everything to sink in my body and my brain. The process of creating can be very personal. Being alone allows for some me time doing what I love the most.

2) Music is key for me, if I’m not inspired by the song I’m choreographing to or I don’t love the vibe or the feel it’s hard to get in the zone

3) A clear head and not putting pressure on myself
also allows me to produce my best work

Nikki: Who are some of your biggest influences in the Dance industry?

Hayley: Tiffany Mclean, Not only is she a brilliant teacher but she is an amazing person. I know that everything she does and everything she says she means, she never sugar coats anything for her students. She can admit her own faults and work on them with her students and turn it into a positive.  She always makes me want to be a better Dancer/Teacher/Choreographer and most importantly a better person.  I also love Linda Garneau, she is the definition of a teacher, she is beyond humble and her choreography is and always will be classic.

Nikki: Name a Toronto Choreographer you enjoy working with and why?

Hayley: Juliette Irons is the most modest and genuine person I have ever met in the dance industry, she is so dedicated to her work. Her choreography and movement portrays the same. The way Her brain works is the most interesting to me and all of her perspectives in life are revealed through her OWN movement. Juliette is one of a kind and a wonderful talent to work with.

Nikki: Are you currently working on any projects? 

Hayley: In September I just opened “iNhayle” my own Dance Company located in my Hometown Ancaster, Ontario.  I am training company students who will compete in competition as well as recreational students. At “ iNhayle” I focus on training the whole person not just the dancer. Good People, who work hard and are hungry & passionate about the art form, become the most brilliant dancers.  As well as teaching at my own studio I continue to gain knowledge in the professional world and stay connected with the Toronto dance industry by Teaching an urban contemporary class at the National Ballet School as well as showcasing my work in ABA Entertainment’s Bazaar.  Check out my work in the next Bazaar “Monsters” at the Toronto Opera house Feb 28, 2012.

Nikki: Qualities you think Toronto Dancers possess?

Hayley: I think Toronto Dancers are hungry, passionate and so dedicated to the craft, I think that because the Toronto Dance industry is such a small world all of us are pushing each other to get work and create so it ends up bringing a lot of us together.

Nikki: Any advice for emerging dancers and choreographers working/training in Toronto?

Hayley: If I could give one piece of advice to those who are emerging dancers or choreographers I would say NEVER EVER change who you are. If you are talented and you stay true to what you love and believe in it people will see that, it may take time but it will happen. Art is not something that can be faked and eventually people will catch on. So be YOURSELF ;)

THANK YOU HAYLEY FOR SHARING YOUR LOVE AND PASSION WITH T.D.O.T. XO

CHECK OUT HAYLEY'S CLASS REEL....






No comments:

Post a Comment