Monday, September 19, 2011

DWAYNE 'BONELESS' GULSTON


This weeks Dancer/Choreographer shout out goes to Dwayne Gulston. Dwayne best known as “Boneless” in the Toronto entertainment industry and has made a name for himself due to his abstract dance flexibility. His trendsetting and innovative ideas have brought a unique challenge to current and upcoming dancers. Not only is he a multi-talented dancer, but he also a rising actor.
Gulston has had leading roles in films such as “How She Move” featuring Tre Armstrong and Keisha Cole, “A Raisin in the Sun” featuring P. Diddy, “Redemption” featuring Jamie Foxx, and most recently “Camp Rock” featuring the Jonas Brothers and Demi Lovato.
Gulston’s top-quality abilities have also privileged him to work with (but not limited to) celebrities such as: Sean Paul, Xzibit, Our Lady Peace, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Keisha Chante, Kreesha Turner, Omarion, Mario and Kardinal Offishall.
Gulston, who is a phenomenal and original dancer, has also had the opportunity to work with choreographer’s such as: Showtyme (Gwen Stefanie), Hi-Hat (Missy Elliot), and Canadian born, Tenisha Scott (Sean Paul), Jae Blaze (Nelly Furtado & Fergie), Tré Armstrong, and Luther Brown.
Determined, Gulston has been able to give back to his local community by inspiring young dancers in the making. His outstanding and positive attitude has enabled him to show dancers to stay true to themselves. Gulston who was born and raised on the Island of Trinidad and Tobago has done nothing but what he loves best, DANCE! Coming to Toronto, Canada, at the young age of six, Gulston knew nothing of where he belonged. He was able to express himself through the free movement of dancing. Only as a young adolescent was he able to connect with others of the same passion, which is when he joined the School of Mayhem. After a couple of years, a few of the dancers broke off into the well-known dance crew, Mayhem’s Finest. This crew of fine dancers is known in Toronto as one of the most successful and talented dance crews. Gulston truly knows that dancing will always be part of his life’s adventure!
After 4 years of auditioning Dwayne achieved his goal after 4 years and made it to the Top 20 for So You Think you Can Dance Canada's final season. Although he didn't win the competition, it was an achievement which taught him there is always something bigger, better and newer to discover. It has inspired him to push himself above and beyond, which is now what he hopes to share with everyone! As Gulston would say, “Keep pressing forward and never look back!”

BIO PROVIDED BY DWAYNE




Find out What Dwayne had to say in this weeks shout out.......


Nikki: Do you remember the first time you started dancing?


Dwayne: The first time I started dancing was in Trinidad, where I was born, like in my moms belly lol. I can't even remember the first time! My mom and my grand mother always told me I was a hyper child and I was always moving, jumping, and throwing myself around when ever I would hear music.

Nikki: Do you remember the first song you choreographed to? (Or your earliest memory)

Dwayne: The First song I choreographed something to was Beastie Boys - Intergalactic for my talent show in grade 6 with my two best friends. At the time I didn't know if it was break dancing or hip hop, I just did what ever looked cool lol lol  

Nikki: Your personal advice for dancers when it comes to free styling?

Dwayne: My Personal advice to dancer when it come to free styling is to "BE YOUR SELF" it's called "FREE STYLING" for a reason lol but …theres always a but.. know what your doing! Your still dancing or performing, you want to look awesome doing it. Even tho it's called "free styling" there is still a dance behind it and a style, it could be poppin, hip hop, house, krump, jazz ,salsa, even ballroom, etc.. you have to know your history and basic moves so you can grow as a dancer. It's very important with any style of dance to know your history, it can only make you a better dancer in the long run. 

Nikki: Getting in the zone to choreograph, what does it take for you?

Dwayne: For me getting in the zone to choreograph or even just dance is having positive people around me like my crew Mayhem's Finest! I need to get hype and ready to go OFF! Also just good food and relaxing cause when I'm relaxed and I hear a wicked tune… that does it! My mind starts to ponder and my creative juice starts to "flow"

Nikki: Who are some of your biggest influences in the Dance industry?

Dwayne: In the dance industry some of my biggest influences are Mr Wiggles, Michael Jackson, Gene Kelly, David Elsewhere, B Boy K-mel, Luther Brown, Lenny Len, Show-Tyme, Frank Boogie, Chris Brown… the list can go on but I'll stop there. 

Nikki: Name a Toronto Choreographer you enjoy working with and why?

Dwayne: WOW this is a tough question… I really don't have a favourite choreographer that I have worked with in Toronto because I get along with everyone one I work with. In rehearsal it's all love and good vibes. I learn from so many people and Teachers/ Choreographers it's amazing! If I had to pick a name I would be lying :s

Nikki: Name one of your favourite artists to work with and why?

Dwayne: So far in my career I have worked with many artists and I'm blessed… this might sound wired but I'm going to give it a shot. Working with So You Think You Can Dance Canada was very overwhelming for me. At this point in my career my Top 22 family of season 4, we were all artists on that stage. We got to showcase our passion to Canada or the world you could say. I think sometimes people forget that dancers are artists too. So my answer would be "Working with my Top 22 family on So You Think You Can Dance Canada Season 4"   

Nikki: What was it like making it to the Top 22 for season 4 of So You Think You Can Dance Canada?

Dwayne: Making it to the Top 22 for season 4 was a huge blessing for me. I put so much hard work into training and preparing myself mentally and physically for everything. Going though round after round. Seeing people get cut left, right and centre, then hearing those words "Boneless…. (dramatic pause), YOU IN OUR TOP 20!!" it was nuts. Just knowing you got something you always wanted or was dreaming for. No one can take away that feeling ever it was to crazy!!!! if you go online and look at my reaction it will explain everything lol :D The experience will always be "One In A Million" (Aaliyah) to be honest it's really hard work to be on that show, you can ask any competitor, but nothing in life is easy. Everything you do is full out 24-7 but it's a great experience because your living a dancer dream…well I think so. You get to meet some of the best choreographers in the world, you get to grow as a person and a dancer, meet a lot of new people, build a new family, New career  opportunities open up, and get celebrity treatment… the works! If you put the hard work in, it will pay off. ( Short story.. never thought I would meet "Mia Michaels" and I did, I was shocked but she thinks I'm amazing, how cool is that!! )     

Nikki: Are you currently working on any projects?

Dwayne: Rodrigo Garcia from SYTYCDC S4 And I have our own Dance Workshop called "H.A.M" for kids of all ages who are interred in dance. We offer it to all "dance school" around Ontario. We mix two style of dance for one class. If interesting or want to know more information you can email sharna@myarbonne.ca.
Also my brother (Tall Up) and I have our own business called "Mayhem Bros" We teach dance workshop all around the school board of Ontario in the Arts and Phys-ed department. If interested or want more information you can email us at mayhembros@gmail.com.


Nikki: Qualities you think Toronto Dancers possess?


Dwayne: Qualities that I think Toronto dancer posses are..
1) We are passionate
2) Humble
3) Dope!
4) Hard Working
5) Fresh!
6) Creative
7) Open minded


Nikki: Any advice for emerging dancers and choreographers working/training in Toronto?


Dwayne: My ultimate advice would be to... BE YOUR SELF!!!!! Keep an open mind. Get out of the box and KNOW YOUR DANCE HISTORY!! Your never to old to learn or train. ( Is Kesha Hip Hop? lol )





THANK YOU DWAYNE AKA BONELESS FOR BEING THIS WEEKS SHOUT OUT XO


CHECK OUT SOME FOOTAGE OF DWAYNE.........














No comments:

Post a Comment