Monday, September 5, 2011

SHANE SIMPSON

This weeks Dancer/Choreographer shout out goes to Shane Simpson. After four long years of tryouts for SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE CANADA Shane Simpson’s spiritual good luck prayers, talent and smile have landed him in Season 4’s Top 22. Dancing around the house at the age of seven, Shane would imitate music videos in front of friends and family. With an obvious desire to dance, Shane’s mother signed him up for lessons and they’ve never looked back. Though trained primarily in jazz and contemporary, Shane trained at five different studios practicing hip-hop, acrobatics, lyrical, tap, ballet and modern. 

Shane says he would most like to follow in the dance steps of Gene Kelly. “He made a huge impact on not only the dance industry, but the whole entertainment industry. He was a dancer, choreographer, actor, singer, film director and producer. I would love to have all of those titles,” said Shane.

Working with notable performers including Lady Gaga, Jully Black, K-OS, and Lady Gaga’s notorious Canadian choreographer, Laurieann Gibson, Shane says his biggest accomplishment to date is making SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE CANADA’s Top 22. “Making Season 4’s Top 22 has showed me that hard work does pay off and I can do anything I put my mind to,” said Shane.

 Shane says he loves travelling and is extremely into fashion. This true Canadian is most comfortable dancing and hanging out when wearing his Roots sweat pants.


Bio provided by CTV 


Be sure to tune in to CTV at 8PM EST tonight to watch Shane and 5 other Dancers hit the stage 1 last time to compete for the title of Canada's favorite Dancer. *** Side note 4 of the Top 6 Dancers are from the Toronto area!!!! GO T.D.O.T. LOL




Find out what Shane had to say in this weeks shout out AND VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!!


Nikki: Do you remember the first time you started dancing?

Shane: Yes I Do. It was when I was 7 years old. I had always watched music videos and talent competitions like Star Search with my family and just wanted to perform on stage. So I begged my mom to put me in dance and she did. Ever since then I've been dancing.

Nikki:  Do you remember the first song you choreographed to? (Or your earliest memory)

Shane: Yes I do. Since I attended a performing arts high school, when I was a senior we had to create a group dance with the younger students. The song I used was Bob Marley's- "Redemption Song"

Nikki:  Your personal advice for dancers when it comes to free styling?

Shane: Wow, Free styling is definitely not an easy thing to do! It’s taken me a really long time to become good at it (and I'm still not the best). If I had any advice give it would be to not over think while in your free style. Do what comes natural to your body. And as my mom always says "Practice Makes Perfect"

Nikki:  Getting in the zone to choreograph, what does it take for you?

Shane: When it come time for me to choreograph I really like to listen to the music that I'm choreographing to so I can really get a sense of what kind of movement I'm going to use. From there on I usually just like make up phrases and fit them to the music.

Nikki:  Who are some of your biggest influences in the Dance industry?

Shane: That's a hard one. There are so many big influences in the dance industry from artist to choreographers to dancers. But for me I would say Michael Jackson (event though he has passed), Janet Jackson, Gene Kelly, Mikhail Brayshnikov, Bob Fosse, and Alvin Ailey just to name a few.

Nikki:  Name a Toronto Choreographer you enjoy working with and why?

Shane: There are honestly just so many amazing choreographers in Toronto! There is a couple that I love working with or even taking classes from. Leon Blackwood, Eryn Waltman, Steilo Calagias, and of course Luther Brown. The reason I say these Choreographers is because I find that regardless of the day of the week or size of the class I know when I work with these choreographers I will be challenged and gain a lot of knowledge just from one class. Also they are just such great people and very talented individuals.

Nikki:  Name one of your favorite artists to work with and why?

Shane: I personally haven't worked with that many artists but so far I would say working with Lady Gaga on the 2009MMVA's was one of my favorite experiences. The reason being that She was so committed to her work. It’s such great feeling to know when the artist you’re working with is really committed to their own work because as a dancer it makes you work that much harder.

Nikki:  What is it like being on SYTYCD and making it to Canada's Top 10?

Shane: It is an Awesome feeling!! To know that I have worked so hard over the past couple of years to make it on to SYTYCDCanada and now to be named Top 5 guys of season 4 is incredible. I don't think there are enough words that could really explain how honored and blessed I am.

Nikki:  Qualities you think Toronto Dancers possess?

Shane: Toronto Dancers are committed, loyal, respectful, friendly, focused and all around Hard Workers! There is not one dancer I know from Toronto that does not deserve to be where they are now.

Nikki: Any advice for emerging dancers and choreographers working/training in Toronto?

Shane: If there is any advice I can give to anyone it would be to never lose who you are, to always keep your head up and stay focused. But most importantly wither dancer of choreographer take class and stay creative!!



THANK YOU SHANE FOR BEING PART OF T.D.O.T. SENDING YOU NOTHING BUT GOOD VIBES FOR THE FINALE SHOW XOXO

Watch some of the amazing routine's Shane and his incredible partner's have performed proving they definetly have what it takes to be Canada's Favortie Dancer.........VOTE!!!























1 comment:

  1. OMG...I've just watched SYTCD finale...never watched the show. but i just found out that SHANE SIMPSON was my customer a couple months ago. OMG.IM SO shocked i met him cuz he is an amazing dancer. im so glad i met him and never knew who he was.(ann marie)

    ReplyDelete