Monday, October 3, 2011

TEYA WILD

This weeks Dancer/Choreographer shout out goes to Teya Wild. Born in Toronto and raised in Vancouver, Teya started her dance journey at the age of nine and has never looked back! Training in every style she could, (competing in many), her years of experience include: RAD ballet honours graduate, Pointe, tap, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, musical theatre, hip hop, & the funk styles.
Her love and passion for dance led her to training and travelling opportunities such as adjudicating, the SOULdiers Hip Hop Co., Monsters Of Hip Hop Dance Convention (showcase finalist Nominee) and touring all over BC with Project Soul's hip hop educational performance crew, "Art Starts", spreading the love and knowledge to students about hip hop's history & its aspects.
Some of Teya's credits include: So you think you can dance Canada: Season 4, Cobu 3D, Sucker Punch, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Hellcats, You're So Hollywood: Elise Estrada, Spectacular, Another Cinderella Story, Center Stage 2: Turn It Up, and Radio Disney. She was very honoured to be a part of the 2010 Olympics and has over eight years experience teaching high ranking competitive groups all over Vancouver. 
Teya's motto is that "Dance Celebrates Life" and she couldn't be more excited that the journey has just begun!

Bio Provided by Teya



Check out what Teya had to say in this weeks shout out....

Nikki: Do you remember the first time you started dancing?

Teya: As a child I would always force my friends and family to learn silly combos of mine and do little performances in the living room of my house but My very first official dance class was tap when I was nine years old. 

Nikki: Do you remember the first song you choreographed to? (Or your earliest memory)

Teya: The first song was most definitely an Ace Of Base Track: I Saw The Sign 

Nikki: Your personal advice for dancers when it comes to free styling?

Teya: Free styling marks your own personal style as a dancer and for me there isn't any limits in what you can do with your body if you just let the music take over. Test yourself with different genre's of music and train yourself to knowing what style of dance would move best with the song. Learning all forms of dance will equal out endless opportunity. 

Nikki: Getting in the zone to choreograph, what does it take for you?

Teya: What it takes for me is a nice Grande ice coffee and a song that inspires me and tests my ability with its musicality. 

Nikki: Name a Toronto Choreographer you enjoy working with and why?

Teya: Without a doubt I would have to say Luther Brown! I had wanted to work with him for years and the way he puts his all into each project he does is very inspiring as a hip hop dancer. Something I like about his work is he can transform any artist into a star also pushes his dancers to a whole other level.

Nikki: Name one of your favourite artists to work with and why?

Teya: Speaking of stars! Victoria Duffield is on a path to greatness. She is one of the hardest workers I have came across in my career and I see endless opportunity for her as she is an extremely kind and humble young lady.   

Nikki: What was it like being part of So You Think You Can Dance Canada Season 4?

Teya: Being apart of the last season is an unforgettable feeling and my top 22 family made it that much more enjoyable for me. The show opens up so many doors and opportunities for Canadian dancers and I couldn't be more excited to see where it all takes me.


Nikki: You were born in Toronto but grew up in Vancouver. What inspired you to make the move back to Toronto? 

Teya: The show inspired me to expand my relationships outside of Vancouver and step outside of my comfort zone. I have met some amazing people here In Toronto and for that I am happy with my decision to stay.  

Nikki: Are you currently working on any projects?

Teya: I am one of forty dancers dancing In Scott Fordham's Show called: Limitless (click limitless for details on the show)

I am currently teaching workshops/setting choreography all around the Toronto area. For booking information Contact: teyawild@gmail.com

Nikki: Qualities you think Toronto Dancers possess?

Teya:
1. Strong Work Ethic
2. Driven
3. Animated

Nikki: Any advice for emerging dancers and choreographers working/training in Toronto?

Teya: Don't be afraid to show your real personality and keep an open mind to the change of pace the city brings.  


THANK YOU TEYA FOR SHARING YOUR LOVE WITH T.D.O.T. XO

CHECK OUT SOME FOOTAGE OF TEYA....
















No comments:

Post a Comment